See Who Made This Year's List of Best Hospitals
The latest rankings from U.S. News & World Report
One thing that I to tell people that are seeking medical care is to research the doctor and the facility. You have the tools with a a simple google search. While you can't take every Yelp review to heart, there are reports like the one attached that are done annually that can give you additional insight on how hospitals are being rated. Having heart surgery at the Mayo Clinic versus having heart surgery in your local hospital can be a matter of life and death. I recognize travel is not always affordable or an option but, sometimes you can find surgeons that trained in some of these prestigious facilities. Its worth the research.
When my mom had cancer I begged her to go to Sloan Kettering for a second opinion. We have one of the top rated cancer factifies in the world an hour away but she refused. Would the outcome have been different? I really can't answer that; but I do think less mistakes would have been made considering this is all they do and specialize in.
Each year, the "Best Hospitals" rankings are compiled in an effort to help patients and their doctors make informed decisions about where to receive quality care, U.S. News said in its announcement. For the 2022-2023 rankings, more than 4,500 hospitals were compared across 15 specialties and on 20 procedures and condition
In addition to the usual metrics, three new cancer ratings were added this year: ovarian, prostate, and uterine cancer surgeries. U.S. News also added an expanded set of health equity measures designed to highlight which hospitals provide more care to low income patients as well as which ones have racial disparities in certain surgical outcomes.
"For patients considering their options for where to get care, the Best Hospitals rankings are designed to help them and their medical professionals identify hospitals that excel in the kind of care they may need," Ben Harder, chief of health analysis and managing editor at U.S. News, said in a statement. "The new cancer ratings provide patients facing surgery for prostate cancer or gynecological cancer with previously unavailable information to assist them in making a critical health care decision."
Below are this year's Honor Roll as well as the top 10 hospitals in select specialty care rankings.
2022-2023 Best Hospitals Honor Roll
1. Mayo Clinic, Rochester
2. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
3. NYU Langone Hospitals
4. Cleveland Clinic
5. (Tie) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
5. (Tie) UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
7. New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia and Cornell, New York City
8. Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
9. Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago
10. Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital, Stanford, Calif.
11. Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis
12. UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
13. Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania-Penn Presbyterian, Philadelphia
14. Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston
15. Houston Methodist Hospital
16. Mount Sinai Hospital, New York City
17. University of Michigan Health-Ann Arbor
18. Mayo Clinic-Phoenix
19. Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tenn.
20. Rush University Medical Center, Chicago
Top 10 Best Hospitals in Selected Specialties -- Cancer
1. University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
2. Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York City
3. Mayo Clinic, Rochester
4. Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women's Cancer Center, Boston